Table of Contents
osFree is a Free Open Source software operating system development project, aiming to replace eventually all OS/2 subsystems with Open source analogues. It aims for OS/2 Warp 4 (Merlin) as a base compatibility system, which does not mean that we will not support features of newer (OS/2 Warp Server for e-business, eComStation and ArcaOS) OS/2 versions. This includes rewriting not only user-level code but the OS/2 kernel too.
We're collecting existing code for OS/2 subsystems for years. Also we are developing our own bootloader named FreeLdr and OS/2 personality for L4 microkernel, i.e. a number of servers, implementing the Control Program (OS/2 kernel) Interface functionality in userspace. See osFree design and development concept for more details. Visit the #osFree IRC channel on the EFNet.
Several projects with similar goals exist (or existed). Here is the brief comparison of goals and tasks of different projects.
Our project is reusing the code of many opensource projects.
EFNet bots changed
EFNet bots osfreebot and osfree is dead. We are glad to present new bot: osFree2. Thanks to Yoda for bot hosting.
FreePM project now part of osFree project
FreePM project now part of osFree project. All source base now in osFree SVN and some goals slightly changed (like SOM interfaces instead of C++ interfaces and binary level compatibility, instead of source level compatibility). Most of services disabled and now osFree project services must be used. Thanks to Evgen Kotsuba for the help.
New team member
Vadim (Oxyd) Priluzkiy joined to osFree project. Welcome here!
#osfree IRC channels work now at EFnet and eCSnet under control of osfreebot and eCoLabs/osfree bots. Thanks to Digi for help.
New developer joined osFree project. Alan Grippon will work on DOS command line tools.
- We are looking for Win16 developers to work on Win16 applications (initial codebase available)
- We are looking for PHP developer to integrate our forum and core site
email@example.com Ricardo Nishimura 2008/09/12 18:36:
I want to join the project. Can you contact me?
sf.net news now duplicated at osfree.org
Starting from now project news from sf.net shown on main page of osfree.org
- We started collecting bugs in bugtracker
- Build system significally improved (thanks to Valery Sedletski)
- Work on OS/2 server internal structure started (Thanks to Sven-Eric Rosen and Sascha Schmidt for working on initial parts)
- Support of original IBM OS/2 Kernel loading in our loader is started (Thanks to Mike Greene)
- We are looking for DOS and Win16 developers to work on DOS command line tools and Win16 applications (initial codebase available)
- We are looking for PHP developer to integrate our forum and core site
firstname.lastname@example.org Alan Grippon 2008/09/07 21:54:
I'd like to help out with the DOS commands if you need a hand. My time is limited right now but I will eventually have more time to help out on other things. I could send my resume if you want to see my background. I also have lots of hardware and software to test and play with. Email me and let me know. [email hidden for spam protect] By the way, I couldn't figure out how to get a log-on to your forums so I registered on your web site.
email@example.com Yuri Prokushev 2008/09/11 13:54:
I sent email to you with some explanation of tasks.
According to our roadmap we are now at version 0.0.3 now. We have a general working of FreeLDR (except config parser and VBE support) for stage 0.0.2 and a working CONFIG.SYS parser for stage 0.0.3. We still are thinking about real requirements for version 0.0.4 at the present time because we have working LX parser prototype and most of IFS must be in Personality Neutral services. So, we are planning to slightly review the 0 .0.x series roadmap for better representation of our current situation and needs. Most probably, we will introduce following changes:
|0.0.2||EXT2FS must be finished (in general) and boot sequence must be implemented. GRUB must be removed. MicroFSD is 16-bit (OS/2 compatible), IFS is 32-bit (not OS/2 compatible). MicroFSD must load FreeLDR and execute it. FreeLDR must load L4 kernel and root task (osFree kernel stub). LILO must not be required for EXT2FS.||Done|
|Note: MiniFSD is absent because not required for microkernel architecture.|
|0.0.3||osFree kernel must parse CONFIG.SYS using file provider server (not real device driver loading) and show config tree.||Done|
|0.0.4||LX loader and module linker (using file provider server). osFree kernel must load and execute PROTSHELL application.||Not Done|
|0.0.5||Filesystem API implementation. LX loader must allow loading of ‘Hello, world’ task via file provider and execute it. ‘Hello, world’ task is CMD.EXE prototype.||Not Done|
Today we started uploading the sources to SVN with the aim to configure a common build system. As we do not yet have an own SVN-Server yet, we are using the SourceForge Server. You can find the sources at https://sourceforge.net/projects/osfree/. At the moment this is NOT fully functional, not even all parts of the sources have been uploaded. Still feel free to improve osFree
For Linux personality we can select existent Linux distribution to have as less maintaining as possible. The Linux personality isn't the main goal of the project and we don't want to lose much time for it.
The Poll about Linux personality is located here.
The dotProject portion of our site has been restored after a long time of being unable to be used by either guests or the osFree staff, upgraded as there was an oppertuinity to do so. In addition to this recently we’ve had a large amount of downtime due to some big problems with one of our host’s hard drives. But now, you can now enjoy viewing the site again and most importantly the project’s status.
osFree userland commit log
- doscalls.dll: Different small fixes by valerius2k (2020/04/29 05:53)doscalls.dll: Different small fixes - DosQuerySysInfo: return OS/2 version being 4.50 - DosSelToFlat and DosFlatToSel implementations - doscalls makefile: Add comment about 16-bit DosIOpenL - Add corect "unimplemented" stubs for DOS16GETINFOSEG and DOS16SETSIGHANDLER
- Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree by valerius2k (2019/10/06 02:30)Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree
- doscalls.dll: A minor MSG API fix: Don't count a termination zero cha… by valerius2k (2019/10/06 02:28)doscalls.dll: A minor MSG API fix: Don't count a termination zero character in DosInsertMessage.
- Revert "Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/os… by prokushev (2019/09/09 04:00)Revert "Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree" This reverts commit ff3fc4f510cd36803fc5ddd62ddff15a19f153a3, reversing changes made to 8a8a58ae11540ef513c81fdd4a9cb48f91b70564.
- merge by prokushev (2019/09/06 06:04)merge
- Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree by prokushev (2019/09/06 06:03)Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree # Conflicts: # DOS/CMD/assign/makefile # DOS/CMD/comp/legal # OS2/CPI/sub32/vio.c
- Fix permissions under Linux, so we're now able to enter required dire… by valerius2k (2019/06/19 13:31)Fix permissions under Linux, so we're now able to enter required directories.
- REXX: Add some accidentally lost changes. by valerius2k (2019/06/19 11:48)REXX: Add some accidentally lost changes.
- Misc fixes flush. by valerius2k (2019/05/27 01:52)Misc fixes flush.
- - osFree build fixes for Linux by valerius2k (2019/05/26 20:36)- osFree build fixes for Linux - Fix Regina REXX build (consequences of shell behaviour differences under OS/2 and Linux).
- Add OS/2 personality as a submodule. by valerius2k (2019/03/18 04:27)Add OS/2 personality as a submodule.
- Move OS2/Server (OS/2 personality) to separate git repo. Delete OS2/S… by valerius2k (2019/03/18 04:21)Move OS2/Server (OS/2 personality) to separate git repo. Delete OS2/Server-old.
osFree OS/2 personality commit log
- LX loader fixes and enhancements by valerius2k (2020/04/25 13:29)LX loader fixes and enhancements - LX executable pages packing algorithms implementations. All three algorithms are supported from now, including the new algorithm introduced in OS/4 kernel. For that purpose, some code is ported from QSINIT, kLdr and lxlite. - Memory align option is introduced in allocmem() function in LX loader, so now executable sections can be e.g., a 0x10000-byte aligned. - More options, fixup types and entry options are supported now. Now LDT is initialized with 8192 16-bit descriptor. Small patch is applied to L4/Fiasco kernel, so that, kernel should use 8192 LDT descriptors, not 512 ones, which fit in one memory page. So, now some bits of tiling is implemented. Though, 16- bit OS/2 code support is not yet finished. 16:16 and 16:32 fixups and entries are now supported. - Region align support in RegAreaAttach. - Extra fixups support in os2exec. Now fixups other than 32-bit self-relative ones, are supported.
- - Update the L4env-related README by valerius2k (2020/04/05 11:39)- Update the L4env-related README - Build sustem fixes for L4env - Correct registers setup before jumping to the binary (l4env) - LX loader fixes to correctly run vp.exe (VirtualPascal test binary) - Event semaphore-related API fixes
- LX loader: Code formatting and style fixes. by valerius2k (2019/11/22 07:06)LX loader: Code formatting and style fixes.
- - Use local file handles per task. In os2fs server, use system-wide file by valerius2k (2019/11/21 19:49)- Use local file handles per task. In os2fs server, use system-wide file handles, with system file table (SFT). - Fix handlemgr lib. - LX loader: pad remainder of executable file pages to 0x1000 bytes with zeroes. - LX loader: respect a fixup flags like 32-bit target offset, 32-bit additive fixup, 16-bit object number/module ordinal number, 8-bit ordinal. - LX loader: add support for source lists in fixups. - LX loader: some formatting/code beautifying.
- l4env, l4re: Build system fixes and enhancements. Now mounting/unmoun… by valerius2k (2019/09/29 18:19)l4env, l4re: Build system fixes and enhancements. Now mounting/unmounting dirs into chroot works correctly.
- - Update package hashes. by valerius2k (2019/04/13 02:00)- Update package hashes. - Add platform-independent thread API code.
- - Update package hashes. by valerius2k (2019/04/10 23:27)- Update package hashes. - Add client lib packages for each server. - Start thread code unification.
- Move commits from osfree/OS2/Server to separate os3 repo. by valerius2k (2019/03/18 03:29)Move commits from osfree/OS2/Server to separate os3 repo.
- Add depot package for 'tar_rom'. by valerius2k (2019/03/18 03:01)Add depot package for 'tar_rom'.
- OS/2 personality enhancements by valerius2k (2019/03/18 02:54)OS/2 personality enhancements - Fix building depot packages. - Update package hashes.
- Remove the ocassionally added "shared" symlink. by valerius2k (2019/03/12 16:43)Remove the ocassionally added "shared" symlink.
- OS/2 personality enhancements by valerius2k (2019/03/12 16:32)OS/2 personality enhancements - Update to latest Genode 19.02, avoiding to use deprecating finctions. - Repair depot packages, so they are now build ok again. - Update package hashes. - a run script taking packages from depot. - l4env port: automate running the l4env build system in Lenny chroot.
Last bugtracker issues
- 0000011: Finish ReginaREXX port as IBM Classic REXX replacement (2019/03/22 07:05)
- 0000010: Finish porting the osFree OS/2 personality to Genode and L4Re (2019/03/22 06:28)
- 0000009: COMMAND.COM cannot find its string resources (2019/03/22 06:01)
- 0000005: minstall parser (2019/01/20 12:20)
- 0000001: Move most Regina REXX messages to .msg files (2019/01/20 12:01)
- 0000008: cmd.exe redirection to pipes and devices (2019/01/20 11:57)
- 0000007: ver reports incorrect revision (2019/01/20 11:56)
- 0000006: bin/tools not updated if /tools/scripts file changed (2019/01/20 11:54)
- 0000004: Add possibility to tokenize scripts (2019/01/20 11:17)
- 0000003: Finish REXX.DLL and REXXAPI.DLL (2019/01/20 11:06)
- 0000002: Create an .INF file for REXX documentation (2019/01/20 11:02)
Last forum topics
- Русский • Re: X-Net - анонимная социальная сеть и мессенджер в торе by valerius (2020/05/30 07:44)
- Русский • Re: X-Net - анонимная социальная сеть и мессенджер в торе by valerius (2020/05/30 07:01)
- Русский • X-Net - анонимная социальная сеть и мессенджер в торе by xnetinfo (2020/05/29 19:13)
- osFree.org site • Re: Donation link is broken by valerius (2019/09/02 23:15)
- Off-Topic • Re: Support of third party programming languages by savniambekar (2019/04/15 05:10)
- General topics • Updated ISO by valerius (2019/03/23 13:08)
- Off-Topic • Re: Support of third party programming languages by valerius (2019/03/19 02:31)
- osFree.org site • Re: Donation link is broken by generalram (2019/03/19 02:04)
- Off-Topic • Re: Support of third party programming languages by generalram (2019/03/19 02:00)
- Off-Topic • Re: Support of third party programming languages by valerius (2019/03/19 00:14)
- Off-Topic • Re: Nice link by valerius (2019/03/19 00:12)
- General topics • Re: IS there a bootable ISO file by valerius (2019/03/19 00:04)
- osFree.org site • Re: Donation link is broken by valerius (2019/03/18 23:29)
- General topics • IS there a bootable ISO file by generalram (2019/03/18 22:08)
- Off-Topic • Re: Nice link by generalram (2019/03/18 22:03)
We're now at the alpha stage, which means that the current version is not feature-complete nor stable and not recommended for everyday usage. The 0.0.x release series will still stay in alpha stage, and 0.9 release series will be marked as beta, meaning a system which is suitable for every day use.
The next release will be 0.0.5, with an release date being open. See our osFree roadmap for details.
Getting access to site areas
The site has several separate areas, like wiki, forum, bugtracker, webmail and dotProject. If you want to get access to these, you should register here first. After admin approves you, you'll get access to all five parts of the site. Approval of user accounts is required because of numerous attempts of spambots to register phantom accounts. Note also, that there is a guest account (user: guest, password: guest), which allows you to login to the site areas, requiring a login (like a dotProject area). It gives you a read only access. Once you log in into the forum, you get access to wiki too, and vice versa. The same login applies to dotProject, webmail and bugtracker. After adding to “Users” group you'll get a write access to wiki, bugtracker and forum. If you want to contribute to site design or development, or to get a mail account, the admin can add you to corresponding user groups and your access level will be increased. In case of troubles, or questions, you can contact site admin.