Table of Contents
osFree is a Free Open Source software operating system development project, aiming to replace eventually all OS/2 subsystems with Open source analogues. It aims for OS/2 Warp 4 (Merlin) as a base compatibility system, which does not mean that we will not support features of newer (OS/2 Warp Server for e-business, eComStation and ArcaOS) OS/2 versions. This includes rewriting not only user-level code but the OS/2 kernel too.
We're collecting existing code for OS/2 subsystems for years. Also we are developing our own bootloader named FreeLdr and OS/2 personality for L4 microkernel, i.e. a number of servers, implementing the Control Program (OS/2 kernel) Interface functionality in userspace. See osFree design and development concept for more details. Visit the #osFree IRC channel on the EFNet.
Several projects with similar goals exist (or existed). Here is the brief comparison of goals and tasks of different projects.
Our project is reusing the code of many opensource projects.
PhpBB and Dokuwiki logins have been integrated.
The osFree web team has decided to change several things. First and foremost, unregistered users cannot comment on news stories. Secondly, the ability for you to register your own account has been disabled to prevent spam dummy accounts from registering. From now on, you must request an osFree wiki account either by contacting the admins (if you are a developer you probably already received an account from one of the admins) via email or the forums. These changes were initiated as a preemptive retaliation to a recently registered spam account.
The dotproject area is officially working for guests. You may now check on our progress real time at any time quickly and easily. Also there is a new, better theme integration into phpBB dubbed osfree3 for registered user info. This does not mean we have our login systems integrated yet, however.
After a little work, Kevin Garricks (aka Jay) has been completed the dokuwiki area of the site. There are a few little glitches here and there in the site’s design, but they are nothing that would be of any consequence, and will not detract from the usability nor attractiveness of the site for the user. If you wish to contribute with the growth of the wiki and osFree’s development and documentation you must ask on the forum for us to upgrade your account to “user” or “developer” in order to get started. Unapproved users will be added to another user group which will not be able to make any modifications.
List of Current Problems
- Edit Toolbar does not show fully.
Will be fixed with later DokuWiki release & upgrade. DONE
- Table of contents
appears sideways from Table of contents title. DONE
- Admin CP has div problems at times.
None of these will really affect you terribly. Please deal with the 2 & 3 while I try to resolve
First osFree screenshot .
- osFree mentioned at osViews.com in article about ReactOS:
- Samuel A. Falvo II released first boot sequence prototype .
Check Boot sequence forum for more information.
- Old forum replaced by more powerfull forum system (PhpBB). osFree skin is bad ;) We are looking for web-page designers.
- Kernel selected. It is L4 Microkernel . Most probably ReactOS will be ported to L4 also (things happen).
As result we can have 'Virtual drivers' like from L4Linux .
Site online again. Was some problems with scripts. osFree project still in information and sources collecting phase, so no yet general usable stuff.
Small development tasks. We are looking for contributors!
CVS instructions added. CVS installed. ‘Build level information’ book added.
osFree userland commit log
- Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree by valerius2k (2019/10/06 02:30)Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree
- doscalls.dll: A minor MSG API fix: Don't count a termination zero cha… by valerius2k (2019/10/06 02:28)doscalls.dll: A minor MSG API fix: Don't count a termination zero character in DosInsertMessage.
- Revert "Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/os… by prokushev (2019/09/09 04:00)Revert "Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree" This reverts commit ff3fc4f510cd36803fc5ddd62ddff15a19f153a3, reversing changes made to 8a8a58ae11540ef513c81fdd4a9cb48f91b70564.
- merge by prokushev (2019/09/06 06:04)merge
- Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree by prokushev (2019/09/06 06:03)Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree # Conflicts: # DOS/CMD/assign/makefile # DOS/CMD/comp/legal # OS2/CPI/sub32/vio.c
- Fix permissions under Linux, so we're now able to enter required dire… by valerius2k (2019/06/19 13:31)Fix permissions under Linux, so we're now able to enter required directories.
- REXX: Add some accidentally lost changes. by valerius2k (2019/06/19 11:48)REXX: Add some accidentally lost changes.
- Misc fixes flush. by valerius2k (2019/05/27 01:52)Misc fixes flush.
- - osFree build fixes for Linux by valerius2k (2019/05/26 20:36)- osFree build fixes for Linux - Fix Regina REXX build (consequences of shell behaviour differences under OS/2 and Linux).
- Add OS/2 personality as a submodule. by valerius2k (2019/03/18 04:27)Add OS/2 personality as a submodule.
- Move OS2/Server (OS/2 personality) to separate git repo. Delete OS2/S… by valerius2k (2019/03/18 04:21)Move OS2/Server (OS/2 personality) to separate git repo. Delete OS2/Server-old.
- Add depot package for 'tar_rom'. by valerius2k (2019/03/18 03:01)Add depot package for 'tar_rom'.
osFree OS/2 personality commit log
- LX loader: Code formatting and style fixes. by valerius2k (2019/11/22 07:06)LX loader: Code formatting and style fixes.
- - Use local file handles per task. In os2fs server, use system-wide file by valerius2k (2019/11/21 19:49)- Use local file handles per task. In os2fs server, use system-wide file handles, with system file table (SFT). - Fix handlemgr lib. - LX loader: pad remainder of executable file pages to 0x1000 bytes with zeroes. - LX loader: respect a fixup flags like 32-bit target offset, 32-bit additive fixup, 16-bit object number/module ordinal number, 8-bit ordinal. - LX loader: add support for source lists in fixups. - LX loader: some formatting/code beautifying.
- l4env, l4re: Build system fixes and enhancements. Now mounting/unmoun… by valerius2k (2019/09/29 18:19)l4env, l4re: Build system fixes and enhancements. Now mounting/unmounting dirs into chroot works correctly.
- - Update package hashes. by valerius2k (2019/04/13 02:00)- Update package hashes. - Add platform-independent thread API code.
- - Update package hashes. by valerius2k (2019/04/10 23:27)- Update package hashes. - Add client lib packages for each server. - Start thread code unification.
- Move commits from osfree/OS2/Server to separate os3 repo. by valerius2k (2019/03/18 03:29)Move commits from osfree/OS2/Server to separate os3 repo.
- Add depot package for 'tar_rom'. by valerius2k (2019/03/18 03:01)Add depot package for 'tar_rom'.
- OS/2 personality enhancements by valerius2k (2019/03/18 02:54)OS/2 personality enhancements - Fix building depot packages. - Update package hashes.
- Remove the ocassionally added "shared" symlink. by valerius2k (2019/03/12 16:43)Remove the ocassionally added "shared" symlink.
- OS/2 personality enhancements by valerius2k (2019/03/12 16:32)OS/2 personality enhancements - Update to latest Genode 19.02, avoiding to use deprecating finctions. - Repair depot packages, so they are now build ok again. - Update package hashes. - a run script taking packages from depot. - l4env port: automate running the l4env build system in Lenny chroot.
- OS/2 personality enhancements by valerius2k (2019/03/12 16:31)OS/2 personality enhancements - Update to latest Genode 19.02, avoiding to use deprecating finctions. - Repair depot packages, so they are now build ok again. - Update package hashes. - a run script taking packages from depot. - l4env port: automate running the l4env build system in Lenny chroot.
- Move UQBT, fat32.ifs and openjfs to separate git repositories, so tha… by valerius2k (2019/03/12 01:07)Move UQBT, fat32.ifs and openjfs to separate git repositories, so thay can be added as submodules.
Last bugtracker issues
- 0000011: Finish ReginaREXX port as IBM Classic REXX replacement (2019/03/22 07:05)
- 0000010: Finish porting the osFree OS/2 personality to Genode and L4Re (2019/03/22 06:28)
- 0000009: COMMAND.COM cannot find its string resources (2019/03/22 06:01)
- 0000005: minstall parser (2019/01/20 12:20)
- 0000001: Move most Regina REXX messages to .msg files (2019/01/20 12:01)
- 0000008: cmd.exe redirection to pipes and devices (2019/01/20 11:57)
- 0000007: ver reports incorrect revision (2019/01/20 11:56)
- 0000006: bin/tools not updated if /tools/scripts file changed (2019/01/20 11:54)
- 0000004: Add possibility to tokenize scripts (2019/01/20 11:17)
- 0000003: Finish REXX.DLL and REXXAPI.DLL (2019/01/20 11:06)
- 0000002: Create an .INF file for REXX documentation (2019/01/20 11:02)
Last forum topics
- osFree.org site • Re: Donation link is broken by valerius (2019/09/02 23:15)
- Off-Topic • Re: Support of third party programming languages by savniambekar (2019/04/15 05:10)
- General topics • Updated ISO by valerius (2019/03/23 13:08)
- Off-Topic • Re: Support of third party programming languages by valerius (2019/03/19 02:31)
- osFree.org site • Re: Donation link is broken by generalram (2019/03/19 02:04)
- Off-Topic • Re: Support of third party programming languages by generalram (2019/03/19 02:00)
- Off-Topic • Re: Support of third party programming languages by valerius (2019/03/19 00:14)
- Off-Topic • Re: Nice link by valerius (2019/03/19 00:12)
- General topics • Re: IS there a bootable ISO file by valerius (2019/03/19 00:04)
- osFree.org site • Re: Donation link is broken by valerius (2019/03/18 23:29)
- General topics • IS there a bootable ISO file by generalram (2019/03/18 22:08)
- Off-Topic • Re: Nice link by generalram (2019/03/18 22:03)
- Off-Topic • Support of third party programming languages by generalram (2019/03/18 22:01)
- osFree.org site • Donation link is broken by generalram (2019/03/18 21:36)
- REXX • 2 years old and nohting by admin (2019/03/11 17:57)
We're now at the alpha stage, which means that the current version is not feature-complete nor stable and not recommended for everyday usage. The 0.0.x release series will still stay in alpha stage, and 0.9 release series will be marked as beta, meaning a system which is suitable for every day use.
The next release will be 0.0.5, with an release date being open. See our osFree roadmap for details.
Getting access to site areas
The site has several separate areas, like wiki, forum, bugtracker, webmail and dotProject. If you want to get access to these, you should register here first. After admin approves you, you'll get access to all five parts of the site. Approval of user accounts is required because of numerous attempts of spambots to register phantom accounts. Note also, that there is a guest account (user: guest, password: guest), which allows you to login to the site areas, requiring a login (like a dotProject area). It gives you a read only access. Once you log in into the forum, you get access to wiki too, and vice versa. The same login applies to dotProject, webmail and bugtracker. After adding to “Users” group you'll get a write access to wiki, bugtracker and forum. If you want to contribute to site design or development, or to get a mail account, the admin can add you to corresponding user groups and your access level will be increased. In case of troubles, or questions, you can contact site admin.