Table of Contents
osFree is a (Free Open Source software) operating system development project, aiming to replace eventually all OS/2 subsystems with Open source analogues. It aims for OS/2 Warp 4 (Merlin) as a base compatibility system, which does not mean that we will not support features of newer (OS/2 Warp Server for e-business, eComStation and ArcaOS) OS/2 versions. This includes rewriting not only user-level code but the OS/2 kernel too.
We're collecting existing code for OS/2 subsystems for years. Also we are developing our own bootloader named FreeLdr and OS/2 personality for L4 microkernel, i.e. a number of servers, implementing the Control Program (OS/2 kernel) Interface functionality in userspace. See osFree design and development concept for more details. Visit the Chat Channel on the EFNET
Several projects with similar goals exist (or existed). Here is the brief comparison of goals and tasks of different projects.
Our project is reusing the code of many opensource projects.
The osFree web team has decided to change several things. First and foremost, unregistered users cannot comment on news stories. Secondly, the ability for you to register your own account has been disabled to prevent spam dummy accounts from registering. From now on, you must request an osFree wiki account either by contacting the admins (if you are a developer you probably already received an account from one of the admins) via email or the forums. These changes were initiated as a preemptive retaliation to a recently registered spam account.
The dotproject area is officially working for guests. You may now check on our progress real time at any time quickly and easily. Also there is a new, better theme integration into phpBB dubbed osfree3 for registered user info. This does not mean we have our login systems integrated yet, however.
After a little work, Kevin Garricks (aka Jay) has been completed the dokuwiki area of the site. There are a few little glitches here and there in the site’s design, but they are nothing that would be of any consequence, and will not detract from the usability nor attractiveness of the site for the user. If you wish to contribute with the growth of the wiki and osFree’s development and documentation you must ask on the forum for us to upgrade your account to “user” or “developer” in order to get started. Unapproved users will be added to another user group which will not be able to make any modifications.
List of Current Problems
- Edit Toolbar does not show fully.
Will be fixed with later DokuWiki release & upgrade. DONE
- Table of contents
appears sideways from Table of contents title. DONE
- Admin CP has div problems at times.
None of these will really affect you terribly. Please deal with the 2 & 3 while I try to resolve
First osFree screenshot .
- osFree mentioned at osViews.com in article about ReactOS:
- Samuel A. Falvo II released first boot sequence prototype .
Check Boot sequence forum for more information.
- Old forum replaced by more powerfull forum system (PhpBB). osFree skin is bad ;) We are looking for web-page designers.
- Kernel selected. It is L4 Microkernel . Most probably ReactOS will be ported to L4 also (things happen).
As result we can have 'Virtual drivers' like from L4Linux .
Site online again. Was some problems with scripts. osFree project still in information and sources collecting phase, so no yet general usable stuff.
Small development tasks. We are looking for contributors!
CVS instructions added. CVS installed. ‘Build level information’ book added.
Command reference updated/fixed. Binary snapshot added.
Github commit log
- OS/2 personality enhancements by valerius2k (2019/02/11 23:51)OS/2 personality enhancements - Add RPC interface for os2srv. - Add more functions to thread API for Genode platform. - Add free RPC function for os2exec.
- OS/2 personality enhancements by valerius2k (2019/02/10 19:13)OS/2 personality enhancements - Add Lock, Semaphore and Thread interfaces to compat lib. - Rework os2app or OS/2 personality servers startup in sysinit.
- OS/2 personality enhancements by valerius2k (2019/02/09 17:21)OS/2 personality enhancements - Move most RPC functions from os2app to os2srv. Now, for example, shared memory dataspaces are created by os2srv and one os2ap copy asks os2srv to map it to another os2app copy, instead of calling RPC for other os2app copy to share it. - Use PID's instead of native thread id in some os2srv RPC functions. - Further portability enhancements. - More system-dependent functions implemented for Genode platform. - trampoline() assembly code moved to separate tramp() function, which has implementations for x86_32 and x86)64. - Enhance system-dependent functions is compat lib for Genode platform. - Add DosFreeModule implementation.
- doscalls: Add full debug output about each function parameters and re… by valerius2k (2018/12/31 04:55)doscalls: Add full debug output about each function parameters and return code.
- Update Regina REXX to version 3.9.1. by valerius2k (2018/09/06 19:42)Update Regina REXX to version 3.9.1.
- rxqueue: Further simplification of code. by valerius2k (2018/08/28 04:57)rxqueue: Further simplification of code.
- REXX fixes. by valerius2k (2018/08/28 04:20)REXX fixes. - Uppercase function name in Regina DosQueryProcAddr wrapper, so that, it will find the entry point. - Add log access mutex in REXX.DLL and REXXAPI.DLL. - Reorder wrong order of three functions in REXXAPI.DLL, so that the correct function will be called.
- Add rxqueue clone. by valerius2k (2018/08/28 04:13)Add rxqueue clone.
- Enhance rexx.dll and rexxapi.dll. by valerius2k (2018/08/24 15:55)Enhance rexx.dll and rexxapi.dll. - Rename debug to log - Add "unimplemented" message and stubs for unimpl. functions - Use UNI2H
- Add unintentionally deleted config.h file. by valerius2k (2018/08/23 12:32)Add unintentionally deleted config.h file.
- Add unintentionally deleted genwrap.cmd script. by valerius2k (2018/08/23 11:41)Add unintentionally deleted genwrap.cmd script.
- Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree by valerius2k (2018/08/23 11:29)Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree
- Some small fixes by valerius2k (2018/08/23 11:11)Some small fixes - fix some REXX scripts for Regina bug on OS/2: strip spaces from argument got from "parse arg ..." - Remove wrongly added PAG_GUARD and return PAG_COMMIT back when allocating stacks for rexx.dll/rexxapi.dll
- Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/prokushev/osfree by prokushev (2018/08/23 03:32)Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/prokushev/osfree
- small sort of functions by prokushev (2018/08/23 03:31)small sort of functions
Last bugtracker issues
- 0000005: minstall parser (2019/01/20 11:20)
- 0000001: Move most Regina REXX messages to .msg files (2019/01/20 11:01)
- 0000008: cmd.exe redirection to pipes and devices (2019/01/20 10:57)
- 0000007: ver reports incorrect revision (2019/01/20 10:56)
- 0000006: bin/tools not updated if /tools/scripts file changed (2019/01/20 10:54)
- 0000004: Add possibility to tokenize scripts (2019/01/20 10:17)
- 0000003: Finish REXX.DLL and REXXAPI.DLL (2019/01/20 10:06)
- 0000002: Create an .INF file for REXX documentation (2019/01/20 10:02)
Last forum topics
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Re: osFree news by admin (2019/01/05 17:26)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: osFree news by admin (2019/01/05 17:25)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • osFree news by admin (2019/01/05 17:24)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Alive, dead or in a coma by admin (2019/01/05 17:23)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Alive, dead or in a coma by admin (2019/01/05 17:19)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Alive, dead or in a coma by admin (2019/01/05 17:18)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Alive, dead or in a coma by admin (2019/01/05 17:17)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Alive, dead or in a coma by admin (2019/01/05 17:15)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • A new year review by admin (2019/01/05 17:13)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Re: New moderators. by admin (2019/01/05 17:12)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Re: New moderators. by admin (2019/01/05 17:10)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Part 48 - Sep 11 2008 by admin (2019/01/05 17:08)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Re: New moderators. by admin (2019/01/05 17:07)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Re: New moderators. by admin (2019/01/05 17:05)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: New moderators. by admin (2019/01/05 17:04)
We're now at the alpha stage, which means that the current version is not feature-complete nor stable and not recommended for everyday usage. The 0.0.x release series will still stay in alpha stage, and 0.9 release series will be marked as beta, meaning a system which is suitable for every day use.
The next release will be 0.0.5, with an release date being open. See our osFree roadmap for details.
Getting access to site areas
The site has several separate areas, like wiki, forum, bugtracker, webmail and dotProject. If you want to get access to these, you should register here first. After admin approves you, you'll get access to all five parts of the site. Note also, that there is a guest account (user: guest, password: guest), which allows you to login to the site areas, requiring a login (like a dotProject area). It gives you a read only access. Once you log in into the forum, you get access to wiki too, and vice versa. The same login applies to dotProject, webmail and bugtracker. In case of troubles, you can contact site admin.