Site Admin
firstname: osFree
lastname: admin

Debug tools for Bochs?

Post by admin »

Viking

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm

Hi

I was looking at the source code which Valerius e-mailed to me at january 13th and saw a screenshot
of BFE (a gui for the Bochs debugger) and was curious what kind of debugger tools are used? BFE does
not work with the current version of bochs, ver 2.2 and 2.3.

I have made some changes to the sources of BFE which makes it useable with Bochs 2.2 and 2.3. And I
was wondering if Valerius is interrested in it.

/Viking
admin
Site Admin

Re: Debug tools for Bochs?

Post by admin »

osfadmin

Site Admin

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:37 am
Viking wrote: Hi

I was looking at the source code which Valerius e-mailed to me at january 13th and saw a
screenshot of BFE (a gui for the Bochs debugger) and was curious what kind of debugger tools
are used? BFE does not work with the current version of bochs, ver 2.2 and 2.3.

I have made some changes to the sources of BFE which makes it useable with Bochs 2.2 and 2.3.
And I was wondering if Valerius is interrested in it.

/Viking
Which host platform you are using? OS/2, Windows or Linux?
This question because Valery's build environment works fine with all of them.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Viking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:19 am Post subject: Re: Debug tools for Bochs? Reply with quote

To compile BFE, I use Linux. BFE works with GTK 1 and GTK 2. My build environment for osfree works in Linux and Windows. So, can BFE be useful for you?

/Viking
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

osfadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It is usefull. I propose to create complete set of build tool for 3 common platforms. It is Windows, Linux and OS/2. We have less or more established build environment. It is includes:
  1. OpenWatcom Compiler (1.5 recommended sue some problems with older versions)
  2. Classic REXX/Regina REXX
  3. GCC (for "ported" things like L4 microkernel)
and some set of other tools.

Personally, I can start with OS/2 and Windows build environment.

If you interested in this then lets start. I propose folowing roadmap:
  1. Establish Build team which will control usage of common build environment
  2. Start collecting instructions for build environment installation and usage in wiki
  3. Start weekly source code snapshot builds (as fast as we will have new SVN repository).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Viking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds interesting. So, should I write the build instructions for Linux? It was a bit messy to get it working. I compiled Open Watcom in windows (the Linux version) and copied the executable files to the Linux partition (I could not run the compiler, because the files did not have (executable) "x" bit set). OW can be compiled with GCC, at least it said so in the documentation.

By the way, we should need an "package manager". Something similar like in Linux to ease this kind of thing. It should support: downloading source code, unpack archives, configure sources and custom made stuff, compile sources, and last install to filesystem. Maybe merge the last step (installation) with WarpIn in the future. To put it short a-la source based distribution. Not only for source code but also use precompiled packages to install. One example is Portage in Gentoo Linux which I really like a lot.

A question is: what language to write it in? ReginaRexx seems to limited (it does not support reusable modules in Rexx, only external compiled code). Maybe Python. I would prefer Perl, but maybe it's not suited for this (to big runtime, not easy to read source code). Anyone has any suggestions?

And last, I really like to have a Subversion server on osFree.org.

/Viking

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

valerius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Viking wrote: That sounds interesting. So, should I write the build instructions for Linux? It was a bit messy to get it working. I compiled Open Watcom in windows (the Linux version) and copied the executable files to the Linux partition (I could not run the compiler, because the files did not have (executable) "x" bit set). OW can be compiled with GCC, at least it said so in the documentation.
The build instructions for Linux? -- It may be good idea. Joining forces with Linux community can give us more people for developing, and speed up the process. Regarding OpenWatcom compiling in Linux -- i managed to build OpenWatcom under Linux, it compiles well, but there are some minor errors which are easily corrected. (I don't remember what they are, but it is not difficult to correct them). The process begins with compiling the base watcom tools by gcc, and then, the rest of tools is compiled with OpenWatcom own tools. (I only didn't built the docs, but tools were compiled OK).
Viking wrote: By the way, we should need an "package manager". Something similar like in Linux to ease this kind of thing. It should support: downloading source code, unpack archives, configure sources and custom made stuff, compile sources, and last install to filesystem. Maybe merge the last step (installation) with WarpIn in the future. To put it short a-la source based distribution. Not only for source code but also use precompiled packages to install. One example is Portage in Gentoo Linux which I really like a lot.
Good idea. But now we have almost no packages. ;)
Viking wrote: A question is: what language to write it in? ReginaRexx seems to limited (it does not support reusable modules in Rexx, only external compiled code). Maybe Python. I would prefer Perl, but maybe it's not suited for this (to big runtime, not easy to read source code). Anyone has any suggestions?
Python is a beautiful language; the syntax of Perl is disliked by many OS/2 users, including me, but, on the other side, it has many extensions and useful programs written on it. Also, the OS/2 version of Perl is a bit old (5.8.xx, as I know) and many extensions are not ported to OS/2. Perl is more good on Windows and UNIX environment, I think. But REXX is more traditional in OS/2 world. Yes, REXX extensions are written in C or Pascal as DLLs, and they can't be written in REXX itself. This is true for Classis REXX interpreter. But there is also Object REXX, which supports object orientation and modular programming. But it is 1) not as stable as Classic Rexx 2) not as popular and many programmers dont know it (including myself). So, I think, the most straight way is to use Classic REXX (including Regina REXX); all needed things can be written as plain (non-modular, monolithic) REXX scripts (as one big text file, yes, I dislike this too, but it is common practice in OS/2; all things that can't be done in REXX, are written in C as exteral DLLs.).

The different approach can be using Object REXX. Then, we must to use IBM Open Object REXX (I don't know the URL, but it was Open-sourced by IBM). Again, it is not as stable as Classic one and there may be needed time to learn it.
Viking wrote: And last, I really like to have a Subversion server on osFree.org.
And me, too.

Best Regards,
Valery
ICQ Number
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

valerius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding BFE, I can try to compile it for XFree86/OS2 with GTK1. I have XFree86 installed, so, the BFE can be useful. But must we rely on optional features, like XFree86/OS2? I don't know. But XFree86 version may be useful.
ICQ Number
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

valerius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

But current OS/2 bochs versions are SDL (or DIVE?) ones. And XFree86/OS2 versions are too old... Unfortunately, there is no PM version of GTK, but there is a PM version of QT. Do you know of QT frontends for Bochs debugger?
ICQ Number
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like we might be able to get some SVN working, and then we can install WebSVN for direct downloading from SVN to users. We might want to consider torrents inserted into SVN to relieve the server from getting swamped with bandwidth being eaten by downloaders of large ZIP files.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

osfadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:51 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Viking wrote: That sounds interesting. So, should I write the build instructions for Linux? It was a bit messy to get it working. I compiled Open Watcom in windows (the Linux version) and copied the executable files to the Linux partition (I could not run the compiler, because the files did not have (executable) "x" bit set). OW can be compiled with GCC, at least it said so in the documentation.
Is it problem to set executible bit?
Viking wrote: By the way, we should need an "package manager". Something similar like in Linux to ease this kind of thing. It should support: downloading source code, unpack archives, configure sources and custom made stuff, compile sources, and last install to filesystem. Maybe merge the last step (installation) with WarpIn in the future. To put it short a-la source based distribution. Not only for source code but also use precompiled packages to install. One example is Portage in Gentoo Linux which I really like a lot.
Well, talking about complex package manager not for now. We need some sort of primitive installation scripts.
Viking wrote: A question is: what language to write it in? ReginaRexx seems to limited (it does not support reusable modules in Rexx, only external compiled code).
Hm.. I'll check this, but IBM Classic REXX allow to reuse external.
Viking wrote: Maybe Python. I would prefer Perl, but maybe it's not suited for this (to big runtime, not easy to read source code). Anyone has any suggestions?
I don't like idea to use not REXX language. I have idea to build something like WSH, but more usable. I mean common API but different languages. Such approach allow us not limit ourself in preffered language.
Viking wrote: And last, I really like to have a Subversion server on osFree.org.
/Viking
We are working on it.