OS/2 personality server

The main server of OS/2 personality. Handles the system initialization and the base set of API's
admin
Site Admin
firstname: osFree
lastname: admin

OS/2 personality server

Post by admin »

Viking

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:25 pm Post subject: coding on os2srv for L4/Fiasco Reply with quote

Hi
I have emailed to Yuri about his work on the os2srv and he has no time at present to work on it, only after NY (new year?). His version now parses the config.sys and tries to start the PROTSHELL app, but it crashes.
So I have been looking at what and how my own version would look like.
Read the config.sys through a file provider from bmodfs (boot modules).
Some translation layer above file provider to reroute a path, like "c:\config.sys" to the file providers "/config.sys", a kind of "symbolic mount".

To read the a file, one uses something like this: l4fprov_file_open_call()
From the example "tudos/l4/pkg/generic_fprov/examples/cat/main.c".

But now I am stuck how to allocate virtual memory for a new process or "task". Maybe the function l4rm_area_reserve_region(addr,size,flags,*area) could work? Does anyone know if this creates a new VM address space or just allocates in the same virtual area in the os2 server?

/Viking
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

prokushev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You can look at my code which can load and execute task pointed by PROTSHELL statament in CONFIG.SYS. Only problem is started task doesn't work as expected (at my system). Supported executable format is L4 ELF. If you want to add support for LX I propose to extend loader package for LX support.

wbr,
Yuri
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Viking

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Great work! I will have a look at it. By the way, are you using older L4/Fiasco binaries with your os2srv? I have seen some messages at the L4 newsgroup that it could lead to trouble.
Greetings Viking
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

prokushev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tested it with binaries build from CVS around this summer. All seems less or more good.