Messages archive from old osFree forum.
admin
Site Admin
firstname: osFree
lastname: admin

Re: Old Forum messages

Post by admin »

Nish.jpn 9.15.2004

I am proud to people who are tackling such a project. I am not a developer. A help is hardly
possible. It is regrettable. Please do your best. Japan.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wesley Parish 9.16.2004

Well, Yuri, I've opened my big mouth, so I suppose I had better take my foot out and carry
on with it Who among the Odin guys should I contact? (And let me say this about the provisional
use of the ReactOS kernel - it gets OSFree a lot further than it is at present, and that's for the
better. I've seen too many projects on Sourceforge start with a bang and end with a quiet hiss
as of air escaping from a flat tire. OS/2's too good for that to happen to OSFree.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yuri Prokushev 9.16.2004

2Nish.jpn: Another tasks still open: documentation writing (command line tools still not
documented), web-site maintaining, promoution ,etc.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yuri Prokushev 9.16.2004

2Wesley Parish: According license you must contact managment team: Patrick Haller
or Achim Hasenmueller or Sander van Leeuwen. Personally, I hope developers will support
osFree. In my opinion, I consider we must achieve attraction point fo this project. IMHO,
self-hosting build environment is such point. I mean, we must allow run Open Watcom
and other build tools to work on top of ROS kernel. Now some word about implementing
OS/2 subsystem for ROS. We must write OS/2 subsystem server (OS2SS.EXE) like posix and
win32 subsystem does (PSXSS.EXE and CSRSS.EXE). OS2SS is native NT executible. Build tools
are MingW and GCC (same as used for whole ROS). Also we must implement LX loader
to allow load and execute OS/2 native executibles. Later we must start implementing
required for OpenWatcom C compiler/linker functions step-by-step. After Watcom will
usable we can change domination subsystem (Win32) of ROS to another domination
subsystem (OS/2) or propose for ROS team domination subsystem selection logic. I think
first step is LX loader writing and OS2SS server writing.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

WestCoast (Nish) 9.19.2004

2ALL: I see. We have a problem big [ one ]. It is the problem of the speaking ability of my
own English. I can hardly do English. It must be said that it does not have the power of English
required for maintenance of a WEB site at the reason for saying. However, I am working as a
marketing consultant in Japan. Therefore, the problem of language may be got used to power
in respect of another then marketing, and a promotion. Incidentally, I am the representative
of the greatest OS/2 community site in Japan. http://forum.nifty.com/fos2/
Kenkoh Nishihama
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ROS based Kernel? 9.26.2004

At the http://groups.yahoo.com/group/osfree , there is an opinion that basing the
OSFree kernel on the one from/by ReactOS - http://www.reactos.com - is a good
idea. I agree.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wesley Parish 10.3.2004

FWIW, I've just got ahold of the LXEXE.DOC, and am working my way through it to find
out about the LX executable file format. I think it'll be a lot easier too, if I just go ahead
and base it on the *BSD link-loader. BTW, does anyone know its relation to Microsoft's NE
and PE executable file formats? I know PE's a bastardized COFF, but precisely what LX is,
I've got no idea. (BTW, LX's got options for big-endian and little-endian - what's the bet I
stuff it up first go? Any takers?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yuri Prokushev 10.4.2004

If we want to base on ROS then most preffered way is to use ROS PE loader
as example, not BSD loader.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Stewart Buckingham 10.8.2004

Has anyone considered contacting Prof. Micho Durdevich CEO of Q-Systems
(www.q-systemsonline.com)? It seems he is involved in some interesting assembler
written stuff relating to kernels, PM, WPS.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jim L| 0.10.2004

OSFree is a kind of generic name. Given that it is a 21st centuary clone of OS/2,
how about naming it OS/21?