Messages archive from old osFree forum.
admin
Site Admin
firstname: osFree
lastname: admin

Re: Old Forum messages

Post by admin »

david 6.24.2004

from the ReactOS page: (basing osfree on reactos does not make it os/2. it makes it windows nt.)
ReactOS is an Open Source effort to develop a quality operating system that is compatible with
Windows NT applications and drivers.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yuri Prokushev 6.24.2004

2david can you stop saying stupid things? Can you technicaly compare L4 and ReactOS? None
kernel selected yet! If you can do something - do it. If not - not flame here pls.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

david 6.25.2004

I will be at osfree's grave. ;_;
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hugo Lowenstein 6.26.2004

http://www.iact.ws/IQN/iqn.php?s=9&f=iq ... eaven.html
http://www.ucsf.edu/acss/cgi-bin/bbs/ma ... pse=&user=
Dear Dr. Tom Wilkie of Scientific Computing, Recently in the US in papers and in magazines there
is talk about a "Post-PC era." Has anyone looked at it carefully? Its about centraliz(s)ed control of
information and technology. I am waiting for the breakup of the conglomerates. If only vertical
and horizontal monopoly, cross holding of shares, and holding companies will become illegal!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

david suzuki 6.29.2004

http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/L4/ here is the L4 page! (from the page) The L4 Е-Kernel
Family Overview What is L4? Originally, L4 is the name of a second-generation Е-kernel
(microkernel) designed and implemented by Jochen Liedtke, running on i486 and Pentium
CPUs. However, there are now numerous implementations of the L4 API (application
programming interface) on several hardware architectures. That's why, on this website
we usually refer to the ``L4 Е-kernel interface'' (see below). When we refer to Jochen's
original implementation, we say ``L4/x86''. What implementations of the L4 Е-kernel
interface do exist? There are implementations for x86, Alpha, ARM, and R4x00 CPUs.
Please see the implementations page for more information. http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/L4/impl.html
(the L4 family) Implementations of the L4 Е-Kernel interface The implementation
names are links to the implementations' home pages where you can find documentation
and further information about that L4 implementation. (In approximately reverse-chronological
order of release; active projects printed in bold) Name CPU Implementation language
License Main author / Maintainer Organization Pistachio Pentium or better, IA64, PowerPC,
Alpha, 64-bit MIPS C++ BSD license L4KA team L4KA at Uni KA and UNSW Fiasco i486 or
better, StrongARM, Linux (user-mode L4 emulation) C++ GPL or commercial Michael
Hohmuth and Team Fiasco TU Dresden P4 x86, MIPS, PowerPC, ARM C commercial
Robert Kaiser Sysgo AG L4 for PowerPC PowerPC 603e C Not yet available Mike Bennett
Univ. of York Hazelnut *1 Pentium or better, StrongARM C++ GPL or commercial L4KA
team L4KA at Uni KA L4/MIPS *1 MIPS R4x00 C GPL Kevin Elphinstone / Gernot Heiser
UNSW L4/Alpha *1 Alpha AXP 21264 Assembly language GPL Sebastian Schnberg /
Daniel Potts / Simon Winwood TU Dresden, UNSW L4/x86 (aka. Lava Nucleus, aka
Lemon Pip) *1 i486 or better Assembly language *2 Jochen Liedtke GMD, IBM Watson,
Uni KA Notes: *1 Development has been discontinued *2 Old version available from
GMD under a non-commercial license. Newer versions currently not available publicly. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yuri Prokushev 6.30.2004

2david suzuki This info publicaly available at L4 site. I don't see any reason
to publish it here.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dee Sharpe 6.30.2004

I still support writing a custom kernel. Work is going very slow. Still trying to
get all of the pieces together.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

david 7.2.2004

sorry!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

david 7.8.2004

http://www.os2ezine.com/contests/screen ... Wagner.jpg see this! from
os/2 desktop contest! hope osfree will never die!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Warper 8.24.2004

Hello Guys! 1)How is this development project going? Is it still alive? 2)Have you
selected which kernel to use? 3)Why do we need that crazy Logical Volume Manager?
4)Will OSFree support Java? 5)What filesystem will it run on? Thanks for the answers
in advance, Warper